Many pressure cooker users probably have never paid attention or gave a thought to the actual mechanics behind a pressure cooker. Keeping this in mind, we decided to look into the science behind a pressure cooker and how it makes not only delicious but healthy meals in such quick time.
How it works
A pressure cooker relies heavily on steam to get its work down. It used steam pressure to cook food. The sealing mechanism of a pressure cooker is important. You must ensure that the cooker is completely sealed so when the steam starts to collect in the cooker, it creates pressure. The pressure eventually builds up and starts to cook the food.
Pressure cooker relies on water to provide steam. You fill the cooker with water and basically heat that water either on a stove top or electrically. The water starts to evaporate due to the rise in temperature inside the cooker and becomes steam. The temperature in a pressure cooker can get really hot. It usually cooks at anywhere from 200 – 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on what you are cooking, you need to set the temperature accordingly.
The reason for cooking at such a high temperature is so that the steam is absorbed by the food at a faster rate, cooking it. The process allows food like meat to tenderize much faster and cook. It adds a little extra flavor, food is caramelized and has a brown look to it. Something you wouldn’t expect from cooking with steam.
You can cook almost anything you can think of with a pressure cooker. You can find recipes online that give you step by step direction on how to go about cooking with a pressure cooker. You do need to be careful when using a pressure cooker. Most pressure cookers come with safety measures, but you never want to open it directly after it is done the cooking, you can burn yourself from the steam.
If you are interested in learning more about the pressure cooker, you can go to http://www.pressurecookerpros.com. It has all the information you need and guidance as far as which pressure cookers you should consider and why. There are numerous different pressure cookers out there, so it is important you know exactly what you are getting before you buy it.
Pressure Cookers! They are a life saver, aren’t they? Cooking in a pressure cooker is the fastest method for cooking healthy and delicious foods. They cook food quickly, while maintaining the vitamins and minerals that can be lost if food was prepared using other methods. Don’t believe me? How long does ittake you to cook a 2kg chicken? 1 hour, 2 hours? With a pressure cooker it is only 15 minutes. How about a creamy dish of risotto? Pressure cookers prepare this heavenly food in just 10 minutes. If you think these reasons are not good enough for you to buy a pressure cooker, let’s give you some more. But first let us get to know the trick how the pressure cooker does its magic.
How does the pressure cooker function?
Pressure cookers are the cheetahs of the cooking world, which reduces the cooking time by as much as two thirds. Pressure-cooking cooks the food faster because it uses a method where steam is sealed in the cooker, which is a special airtight cooking utensil. Sealing the liquid, such as water, traps the vapor that rises from the water. This increases the pressure inside the cooker, which in turn raises the boiling point of the liquid. So this increased temperature and pressure paces up the cooking process. The pressure pervades the hot steam into the food and the cooking time drops substantially.
How to use a pressure cooker
Now that you know how a pressure cooker works, the next step is to learn to use one. To help you to get started safely, here is a guide to the pressure cookers:
- Check there are no dents or cracks on your pressure cooker before using it, as the hot steam can come out of the cracks and burn you
- Always fill two-third of your cooker with some sort of liquid. Make sure to keep some space for the steam to accumulate
- Pressure cookers come with baskets and trivets. Place the basket on top and the trivet on the bottom
- Prepare your food for pressure cooking. Usually the pressure cookers come with a guideline on how to prepare various kinds of food
- Place the food inside the cooker
- Take off the safety valve or weighted pressure regulator and shut the lid correctly
- Wait for the cooker to gain pressure. When the pressure reaches the safety limit, the cooker will start to cook the food gently
- Reduce the heat to allow proper cooking
- Once the food is cooked, turn off the heat and lower the pressure inside the cooker, which is usually provided in the guideline
- Check that all of the pressure has been released, no sound of escaping steam, and then remove the lid gently
Benefits of using a pressure cooker:
- Saves cooking time
- Saves money as less energy is used
- Healthy cooking is ensured as more vitamins and minerals are retained
- Flavorful meals are prepared, as the sealed environment prevents the loss of moisture and flavors
- Heat in the cooker destroys harmful micro-organisms
- Keeps the kitchen clean and free from cooking smells
By now, I am sure, that you have realized that pressure cookers are a true great investment in your kitchen. So run to your nearest shop and grab your magic cooking pot.