A root canal is one of the most common dental procedures done in dentistry clinics. It is also a rather painful procedure that isn’t always completed in the same visit. But this is a pretty impressive and great procedure to get if you have a bad tooth because a root canal can save your pretty smile and will keep that tooth of yours brilliant and beautiful for many years to come.
What is a root canal?
A root canal is mostly done on teeth with a rather severe cavity or infection. During the root canal all infected tooth tissue and bacteria or dying tissue of the tooth will be removed and the hole will be filled right up. After the root canal your tooth will look perfectly fine and will be completely functional and completely pain-free.
Where to get your root canal done?
This is a very complex procedure and you really do need to use a trusted clinic or dentist to get your root canal treated. Novo Dental Center offers great dental services and they have been performing root canals as well as a wide range of more complex dental procedures for a very long time. These experts can get your root canal done for you as quickly as possible and as painless as possible. It is important to get your root canal done as quickly as possible so you might save your tooth and to prevent further infection.
How a root canal is done
Root canals are only done if there is no other way to get the bacteria and bad tooth tissue out of the tooth. Here are the steps for performing a root canal:
- The first step is to establish the severity of the problem. The dentist will perform an x-ray to check the health of all of your teeth and to spot major cavities.
- The dentist will discuss the root canal procedure as well as other possible solutions with you and together you will decide on the best possible solution.
- Local anesthesia will be injected into your gums with a needle. This will numb the tooth, part of your tongue, your cheeks and can affect your speech. The injections can be quite painful but the pain does wear off pretty quickly.
- A small drill will be used to make an opening where the dentist can access the cavity. Damaged tissue will be removed from inside of the tooth.
- In some cases the dentist will add an antimicrobial solution that will destroy all bacteria inside of the tooth. If an antimicrobial solution is used your tooth will be sealed up and you will return for the rest of the procedure within a day or two.
- Once the bacteria are removed the tooth is cleaned out properly with a drill, it is dried off and a fill with rubber-like material will be used to cover up the hole.
- The new filling might feel strange at first but you will eventually get so used to it, you won’t even feel it.
- A checkup treatment is then required where a permanent crown will be inserted into the tooth to seal off the tooth.
Root canals can be quite painful but they are definitely worth your time. The pain is instantly gone and your teeth still look great despite the damage to the cavity. It is the best possible thing you can do or your smiles.